Self-Care Rituals, Honoring Your Worth
“There are days I drop words of comfort on myself like falling leaves and remember that it is enough to be taken care of by myself.” ~Brian Andreas
We often think of self-care as some appointment we must make or something we do when we become ill. Although tending to an illness or scheduling a massage is in fact a way to take care of yourself I am talking about rituals, the things we do consistently to care for ourselves.
“I am too busy”
Often, I hear my clients say that their schedules are to full and “what a luxury” it would be to find time for such activities. True, our schedules can become hectic from time to time but we all have the same 24 hours in a day and we schedule that day according to our priorities. If you think you don’t have time for self-care what you are really saying is you have a priority problem, not a time problem.
What are your priorities and where are YOU ranked?
Have you ever flown on a plane and they tell you in the safety review that you must put on your oxygen mask first before helping others?
Who and what are you caring for instead of yourself? Why Are You Ranked So Low? What truly matters in life?
Is cleaning the dishes a higher priority than caring for yourself?
Begin by re-evaluating your priorities and actively decide to relocate YOU to the top of the list. Second, adjust your viewpoint on what a self-care ritual is and what it will look like for you. Finally, jump in and begin adding them to your daily routine. Remember, five minutes is better than waiting until next weekend for that massage appointment. You are deserving of self-care every day! Keeping it simple and short every day will promote a life-long practice and not just a fad.
Simple Self-Care Ritual Ideas For You:
1. Mindful breathing. Find a quiet space, disconnect all electronics and connect to your breath for 5 minutes. Observe, become aware and release judgement.
2. Hot Towel. Use a hot towel on the back of your neck, low back, hands or feet.
3. Heating Pad. Same concept as above but without the water silly.
4. Go cloud-watching. Lie on your back, relax, and watch the sky.
5. Goof around for a bit. Schedule in 5 minutes of play time and just goof off. Don’t be rigid about it, just let loose!
6. Unplug for an hour. Switch everything to airplane mode and free yourself from the constant dings of social media, email and phone calls.
7. Shake what your momma gave you. Put on your favorite upbeat song and shake it! Dance parties of one can be the best.
8. Foam Roller. My roller is my best friend! Roll out the knots in your body and relax the muscles without hiring a human.
9. Run or Walk. Go outside and just disconnect by reconnecting to your flow!
10. Walk barefoot. Reconnect with nature and get those negative ions baby!
11. Inhale a smell you love. Pure essential oils can have a multitude of healing benefits including the simple act of inhaling their goodness through your nose! Diffuse some love into the air.
12. Take a quick nap. I don’t know why we stopped these after the age of 5 but let’s bring these back minus the judgement.
13. Write out your thoughts. Journal it or violate a post-it note but get it all out of the mind and onto paper.
14. Build a home spa. Have a long bath or shower, sit around in your bathrobe, and read magazines. Pretend you just checked in at a premier spa and relax without having to tip.
Keep things simple when building your self-care rituals. Enjoy the journey of trying new things and creating experiences for yourself that will send a solid nod to your self-worth. When YOU are a priority, your mind and body will reap the rewards and so will all others around you.
WARNING: May cause joy, reduction in stress, abundance, excessive love and relief.
Do you have a favorite self-care ritual? I would love to hear your secret weapons of love!